Brilliant green and bursting with fresh flavor, pesto traditionally brings together aromatic basil, rich Parmesan cheese and delicate, slightly sweet pine nuts. This combination can be modified easily to create a vegan version that’s equally enticing and eye-catching, with greater nutritional benefits. The secret ingredient is a plant-based powerhouse known for its nutty flavor and healthy-fat content, with omega-3s and GLA. If you haven’t already, say hello to hemp!
Non-GMO Hemp Pesto & Shirataki Noodles (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Makes 4 servings
1 cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed
1 garlic clove
¼ cup lemon juice (or juice of 1 whole lemon)
¼ cup organic hemp seed oil
¼ cup whole hulled hemp seeds
¼ cup water
¼ tsp. each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pkg. shirataki angel hair pasta
- Wash fresh basil leaves well and remove stems. Add to blender or food processor.
- Steam garlic clove for 4 minutes until softened, then add to blender along with lemon juice, hemp oil, water, hemp seeds and salt and pepper.
- Blend pesto ingredients until smooth, adjusting seasonings to taste.
- Follow package directions to prepare noodles
- Pour ¼ cup of pesto over half of noodles.
Nutrition info: 189 calories, 19 grams fat, 5 carbs, 2 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 4 grams protein
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes - April 16, 2015
- Choco-Kiwi Smoothie - April 9, 2015
- Health Coach Tips: Brush Up on Food Safety for World Health Day - April 2, 2015