Give your old-fashioned tuna melt a gourmet makeover by mixing in pre-made pesto sauce and fiery roasted red peppers. Topped with mild Provolone cheese, these sandwiches are served open faced—making a tasty light lunch or the perfect companion to a bowl of soup or healthy salad.
Open-Faced Tuna Pesto Melt
1. Heat broiler or toaster oven.
2. In large bowl, combine tuna, pesto, peppers and garlic powder; mix well. Transfer mixture to each slice of bread.
3. Broil (or toast in toaster oven) for 5 minutes.
4. Evenly divide cheese; top each sandwich with cheese and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Remove and serve immediately.
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is the Editor-in-Chief of TheHealthyApple.com; she is a Manhattan based Personal Chef, Culinary Nutritionist, Professional Recipe Developer, Food Photographer and Writer specializing in simple gluten-free and dairy-free ‘Clean’ recipes using whole foods. Amie recently healed herself from six years of chronic pain, exhausting every doctor in the country and Mayo Clinic; she shares her story of how Clean Eating saved her life and inspires you to Clean up your food, too. Amie lives in Manhattan, NYC where she cooks for a variety of clients including celebrities and people with busy lifestyles who enjoy healthy, fresh food. Visit Amie on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest; she’d love to hear from you!