Ever experienced organic sticker shock? Even for simple, everyday items such as bread, buying organic can be tough on your tight budget. I believe everyone has the right to eat clean, healthy foods ““ which is why I’ve been experimenting in my kitchen to come up with the perfect, organic bread recipe for less than $2 a loaf! (Bonus – it’s easy too!)
Makes 1 loaf (in bread machine)
Follow bread machine manufacturer’s instructions to add ingredients and bake. In my machine, I use the “whole wheat” setting, 1.5 lbs., light color.
Flour — $3.69 for 4 lbs. = $0.73 / loaf
Salt — approx. $0.03 / loaf
Canola oil — approx. $0.37 / loaf
Honey — approx $0.42 / loaf
Yeast — approx. $0.21 / loaf
Total = $1.76
*Based on regularly priced organic food items at Vitacost.com on April 2, 2013.
Keep in mind that your savings can be even greater if you:
- Shop when specific items or brands are on sale
- Use a site-wide %-off discount
- Order $49 worth of products so shipment qualifies for free shipping
- Refer a friend. When he or she places their first order, you both get $10 to spend at Vitacost! Click here to learn more.
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013