Need a snack to go? Pass on processed energy bars and make your own natural fruit and nut bars from pure, whole-food ingredients in line with the Paleo diet. Not only will you be sure you’re eating well, you’ll save on cost, too!
Bar One/Bar None*
Directions (for either bar)
1. Pulverize nuts in nut grinder until powdery.
2. Place dried fruit in mini prep food processor and grind to a paste; stopping to scrape sides as needed.
3. Add fruit to nuts in small bowl. Use your hands to mix. Add spice to taste.
4. Press mixture into shallow glass baking dish. Pat to even thickness.
5. Cover with plastic then place heavy plate or pan on top to weigh down.
6. Refrigerate for one hour.
7. Dab olive oil onto paper towel and rub onto butter knife, then cut into squares.
*Recipe reprinted with permission from Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat, by Nell Stephenson (Touchstone, 2012).
Nell Stephenson, the original “Paleoista,” is the author of Paleoista, Gain Energy, Get Lean and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat (Touchstone, 2012) and co-author ofThe Paleo Diet Cookbook with Dr. Loren Cordain, PhD (Wiley & Sons, 2010). In addition to her work as nutrition consultant and trained chef, Stephenson is a personal trainer and competitive endurance athlete who credits the Paleo diet for her transformed health and athletic success. Visit her blog at www.paleoista.com.