Whether you’re looking for something Paleo suitable for snacky bits to serve guests before dinner or something the little ones can pick at on the go, it’s easy to create healthy snack options requiring nothing other than a pair of hands with which to eat them!
A sneak peek of one of my fave recipes from my book, “Paleoista’!
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, thoroughly rinsed and spun dry
1 cup leftover chicken or turkey breast, cut into strips
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 large apple, cored and thinkly sliced
Sliced cherry tomatoes, optional
Freshly grated cinnamon, to taste (optional)
1. Reserve and set aside four large kale leaves. Finely chop remaining leaves and steam for 2 to 3 minutes, or enjoy raw, if desired.
2. Place the whole leaves on work surface. Layer chicken or turkey, avocado, and apple evenly onto all 4 leaves.
3. Top with the chopped leaves. Add cherry tomatoes, if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
4. Roll each leaf into a burrito shape and enjoy.
Paleoista’s Garlic-Lime Jerky
1. Cut meat into ¼” strips.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in mini prep food processor and whiz to combine. Pour into glass bowl and add meat, making sure it’s completely submerged. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and marinate overnight.
4. The next day, pre-heat oven to 170 degrees F. Remove and place on wire rack over sink to drain. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place wire rack with meat on baking sheet.
5. Place in oven and keep oven door propped slightly open to allow moisture to escape. Flip after about three hours. Cook about three more hours. Jerky is done when it breaks in half easily.
6.. Let cool and store extra in air tight containers.
Go nuts! Make your own spiced nut blends using organic raw nuts and mixing them with your favorite sweet or savory spices, then giving them a light toast to bring out their flavor. Try cinnamon with coconut oil on macadamias, chili powder with lime on cashews or ginger and a drop of honey on almonds.
Latest posts by Paleoista (see all)
- Paleo Coconut-Basil Sorbet - May 25, 2015
- Paleo BBQ Tips: How to Grill Meat Safely - May 11, 2015
- Are Protein Products OK to Eat If You’re Following a Paleo Diet? - April 21, 2015