February is Heart Health Month, and what better way to celebrate than to try a new heart-healthy recipe? The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (preferably fatty fish, rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids) at least twice a week. Mahi is a tasty variety that not only supplies omega-3s but also serves as a good source of lean protein–and it’s low in saturated fat. Enjoy it with a simple citrus marinade loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants for a super healthy meal. Your heart will thank you!
Pan-Seared Citrus Mahi
Two (6 oz.) fresh mahi filets (or other firm white fish)
Juice of 1 whole lemon
Juice of 1 whole orange
1 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. raw honey (local if possible)
2 Tbsp. organic grapeseed oil
1 tsp. dried thyme
Pinch of salt, pepper
1. Place mahi filets in a dish for marinating.
2. Juice lemon and orange in a bowl, then whisk in cider vinegar, honey, oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Pour mixture over mahi; cover and place in fridge for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, heat a stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Place mahi on oiled skillet and cook 3-5 minutes per side. Turn mahi once.
5. Remove mahi from skillet. Try serving mahi with roasted Brussels sprouts.
Nutritional information per serving: 345 calories, 16 g fat, 21 g carbs, 31 g protein
Pam Higgins, Certified Health Coach, AADP received her credentials from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition in 2010. Pam is the Founder of Total Health Counseling, LLC and www.totalhealthcounseling.com. She is a sensitive foodie and focuses on teaching clients about eating delicious food with pleasure. Pam will show you how to access your blueprint for healthy eating and lifestyle so you can be your best. Pam healed herself from years of chronic digestive and skin inflammation by accessing her own blueprint for healthy living and helps her clients find foods that nourish + balance their bodies. Pam lives in South Florida with her husband, Heman and dog, Cali. Visit Pam on her website,Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Contact Pam directly at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Lunchbox Makeover: 10 Ideas for Healthier Mid-Day Meals - August 28, 2014
- Matcha Green Tea Smoothie - August 21, 2014
- Gluten-Free Chocolate-Cherry Granola Bites - August 14, 2014