Imagine the joy you get from a candy bar made of coconut, whole almonds and covered in creamy milk chocolate. Now, imagine actually eating it. If you’ve marked candy off your healthy-eating list, you may be missing out for no good reason. With holidays on the horizon, you’ll want an arsenal of recipes you can make in a flash that won’t leave you feeling deprived of the season’s sweet treats. This “healthified” take on a classic candy bar is a great place to start.
Protein-Punched “Joy” Bars
Servings: unlimited, because they’re just so amazing you won’t be able to stop!
1 1/2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
2 scoops protein powder
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 drops natural coconut flavoring (a little goes a long way!)
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (for extra coconut flavor, try unsweetened coconut almond milk)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. You can use a food processor, but it’s not necessary.
2. Press the mixture into a greased 8×8 baking pan to create the “meat” of the candy bar.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat 20-30 seconds or until melted.
4. Spread melted topping evenly over the candy bar mixture.
5. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
6. Place in freezer until chocolate hardens.
JazzyThings has a passion for cooking and baking. She loves experimenting in the kitchen and then sharing her “jazzy creations” with others. Follow her on Instagram @JazzyThings for fun food ideas and get-fit inspiration.
Latest posts by jazzythings (see all)
- Quinoa Christmas Cookies - December 16, 2014
- Gluten-Free Ginger Snap Cookies - December 11, 2014
- Holiday Protein Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Brownies - December 9, 2014