Admit it, you’re whipped. Chocolate mousse gets you every time, especially when it’s layered onto a crunchy cookie crust and served chilled as a pie. With this raw creation, it’s OK to be weak. Heavy cream, eggs and other traditional mousse makings are left out of the mix, replaced by healthier vegan ingredients.
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. almonds
2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
2 Tbsp. flax seed meal
1-1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
3/4 cup coconut flakes
1/8 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. almond milk
Chocolate mousse layer
- In a food processor, combine almonds, seeds, cocoa, dates, 1/4 cup coconut flakes and salt; pulse until dates are fully blended.
- Add remaining coconut flakes, vanilla, maple, almond milk and process until a dough is formed.
- Press dough into pie pan and press down evenly to create crust,
- In food processor, combine all caramel layer ingredients; pulse into a smooth puree. Blend until dates are well mixed. Spread mixture over crust.
- Lightly heat coconut milk and pour immediately into a bowl. Mix in chocolate chips and whisk until melted. Add in remaining ingredients and continue to whisk until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour chocolate mousse over caramel layer.
- Freeze pie for two to three hours before serving.