Love (of chocolate) is in the air! Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a decadent chocolate-raspberry dessert that’s actually good for your sweetie to eat. Low in sugar, it’s made from healthy and yummy ingredients including raw cacao, raw honey, coconut oil and fresh berries. Simply pour the batter into small dishes and chill for easy-to-serve individual treats, or use a cookie cutter to shape into festive hearts for the occasion.
1. Warm coconut oil in microwave for about a minute until just melted (do not let it get “watery”). (If using stovetop, place coconut oil in heat-safe glass bowl in saucepan; bring to soft boil until coconut oil has melted.) Bring melted coconut oil to room temperature.
2. Add all ingredients except berries to food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Use potato masher to mash berries. (Quick tip: For fewer dishes to clean, use glass bowl from step 1.)
4. Pour chocolate mixture into bowl with berries; use spoon to gently combine.
5. Line individual small dishes with parchment paper and fill with mixture. (Quick tip: Butter dishes work great!)
6. Place dishes in freezer for 15 to 25 minutes until firm. Store in refrigerator.
Option: Instead of using individual dishes, pour mixture into baking pan. After chilling, use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Dana Zucker is a home cook that likes to do it her way! She gets creative with nutritious ingredients to keep her active family””teenage twins and a vegan, triathlete husband””healthy and happy. Cooking with organic, local and whole food ingredients is key, whether she’s whipping up an early-morning breakfast, prepping afterschool snacks or getting dinner on the table at 10 p.m. Dana says, “We do eat out sometimes, and even cheat with some pre-made foods. But I try to balance making delicious foods with the reality of a busy schedule.” Dana’s recipes are a great starting point to find a style of cooking that works for your family. Her advice? Keep it real””and keep it easy!
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013