Didn’t finish those mashed potatoes at dinner yesterday? Making tonight’s meal will be a breeze! Use your leftover spuds to make a dish that’s been satisfying hungry families for centuries: shepherd’s pie. Once known as “cottage pie” (because of its popularity in rural areas), shepherd’s pie is a layered casserole that typically includes mashed potatoes, ground beef, carrots and peas. With this recipe, you can make your pie with or without meat and include whatever veggies you have on hand.
Shepherd’s Pie with Cornbread Topping
Use (M) ingredients for a meat version or (V) to make a vegan shepherd’s pie:
(M) 1-1/2 pounds ground meat (I use whatever I have on hand, usually a mixture)
(M) 1/2 cup broth of choice (I use chicken)
(V) 15-32 oz. beans, canned or soaked (I use red, butter and/or black)
(V) 1/2 cup vegetable broth
For both (M) and (V) options:
Olive oil, or oil of choice
1 onion, chopped
2 cups veggies, chopped (whatever you have on hand)
2 potatoes worth of mashed potatoes, make ahead
Herbs and seasonings of choice (some of my favorites in this recipes are thyme, chives, parsley)
Vegan cornbread batter
(Note: If you’re trying to introduce your family to more beans, use 3/4 pounds of meat and 15 ounces of red or black beans. When adding both beans and meat, mash together slightly before step 3 below.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In skillet, heat oil and sautÃ© onion. Add veggies. Cook until slightly tender. (Note: Pay attention to veggie cooking time. Carrots, for example, will take longer to soften than mushrooms, so add them first.)
3. Add beans or meat, broth and seasonings; finish cooking.
4. Remove mixture from skillet. Apply a coating of oil. Line bottom and sides of pan with mashed potatoes. Replace mixture. Top with vegan cornbread batter.
4. Top with layer of vegan cornbread batter (or, if preferred, top with additional mashed potatoes).
5. Bake for 30 minutes. (Note: Place a baking sheet under skillet to catch drippings.)
Tips and Variations
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013