The sea is teeming with nutritious treasures, but pasta isn’t one you’d expect. Kelp noodles””made from a type of edible brown seaweed””are loaded with minerals, low in carbs and easy to eat (just open the package, rinse and serve!). Plus, a heaping helping has just six calories, making these mild-tasting ribbons the perfect addition to salads, soups or stir fry dishes if you’re dieting or looking for a lighter meal. In this raw recipe, they’re tossed with a tangy dressing, fresh veggies and crunchy seeds with a hint of fiery flavor from smoked paprika. If you’re a kelp noodle newbie, it’ll be love at first bite.
Smoky Kelp Noodle Salad
1 (12 oz.) package of kelp noodles
½ cup black beans
½ cup canned corn
¼ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
½ cup frozen spinach, thawed
1 Tbsp. tamari
½ tsp. smoked paprika
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon
1 Medjool date
6 Tbsp. water
1. For dressing, blend apple cider vinegar, tamari, lemon juice, water and date in blender or food processor.
2. Massage kelp noodles with ½ cup dressing.
3. Add black beans, corn, spinach and pepitas (pumpkin seeds); toss to combine. Add additional dressing if desired. (Note:
You’ll have leftover dressing with this recipe.)
Amy Clevenger is a Los Angeles-based food blogger. In 2013, she started her popular Instagram account @FantasticallyFit to help keep her accountable in her journey to better health. Clevenger’s brand has since expanded to include fitfunfantastic.com and the popular e-recipe book series, Healthy Eats. Clevenger’s passion for healthy eating and cooking began while she was pursuing her master’s degree in counseling and guidance from Cal Lutherine University. Her work with families helped her to realize that living a healthy, happy life starts in the kitchen. She believes clean eating doesn’t have to mean giving up on great taste. Today, Clevenger is married to her college sweetheart and lives in Los Angeles with her three cats, Kailani, Confettu and Harley. Visit her blog fitfunfantastic.com and follow her on Instagram @fantasticallyfit.
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Homemade Holiday Gift: Spiced Honey Nuts - December 15, 2014
- Oven-Baked Haddock With Spicy Moroccan Green Pepper Sauce - December 8, 2014
- Italian Chicken Sausage Stuffed Shells - December 1, 2014