Whether you’re headed to a potluck or planning a small get-together lunch, potato salad is an old stand-by that appeals to all ages. If guests are vegan, however, traditional ingredients—mayo, eggs, sour cream and sometimes bacon—make this dish off-limits. The solution? Veganize it! This version calls for dairy- and egg-free mayonnaise, creamy avocado, tangy apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon juice for a plant-based party salad everyone can enjoy.
Vegan Potato Salad Supreme
3 lbs. small red potatoes
2 celery stalks, diced
½ garlic clove, diced
¼ cup chopped purple onion
¼ avocado, mashed
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. lemon juice
½ Tbsp. stone ground mustard
½ tsp. sea salt
Optional: green olives and/or black olives, sliced
1. In a large pot, boil potatoes until tender; drain and cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except olives; stir well.
3. Dice potatoes and add to bowl; mix well. Sprinkle on olives.
4. Refrigerate before serving.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Beat Belly Bloat: Flattening Your Stomach Without Shapewear - October 20, 2014
- Healthy Snacks to Take to Work When You’re Dieting - October 13, 2014
- 4 Guilt-Free Comfort Foods for Colder Weather - October 6, 2014