What do you do when strawberry season starts to slip away? You stockpile those succulent fruits and make enough freezer-friendly jam to last you until next year!
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- Pomona Universal Pectin (includes powdered pectin and powdered calcium)
- 4 cups fresh, ripe strawberries
- ¼ cup Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar
Before starting your jam, make calcium water by combining ½ teaspoon white calcium powder (included with Pomona Pectin) and ½ cup water in a clear glass jar. Set aside and be sure to refrigerate the unused portion.
- Wash and prepare 4 cups of berries by removing the tops ““ I like to leave as much as possible, including the stems!
- Place strawberries in a heavy bottomed pot and add a small amount of water. Cook on medium heat and mash as you go. (Tip: A potato masher works well for this.)
- Add 2 teaspoons of calcium water to the pot and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine ¼ cup organic sugar and 2 teaspoons of pectin powder and mix well. (Note: the official Pomona recipe calls for more sugar, but I find that with fresh, ripe fruit, less is needed!)
- Bring your fruit to a boil, then add the pectin/sugar mixture and stir vigorously for several minutes until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before placing in clean, freezer-safe containers. (Of course, be sure to save a few spoonfuls so you can enjoy it immediately!)
Dana Zucker is a home cook that likes to do it her way! She gets creative with nutritious ingredients to keep her active family””teenage twins and a vegan, triathlete husband””healthy and happy. Cooking with organic, local and whole food ingredients is key, whether she’s whipping up an early-morning breakfast, prepping afterschool snacks or getting dinner on the table at 10 p.m. Dana says, “We do eat out sometimes, and even cheat with some pre-made foods. But I try to balance making delicious foods with the reality of a busy schedule.” Dana’s recipes are a great starting point to find a style of cooking that works for your family. Her advice? Keep it real””and keep it easy!