Piled high, nachos are more of a meal than an appetizer. But if you fill your plate with deep-fried chips, clogging cheese and over-the-top toppings, your tummy may be headed for trouble. Instead, sub in healthy favorites, starting with oven-baked sweet potato chips. Black beans, fresh guac and creamy Greek yogurt are stacked in the center for easy dipping. Keep it light and vegan, or add extra-lean ground turkey seasoned with Mexican spices if you like meat.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Nachos
Recipe by Amy Clevenger, fitfunandfantastic.com
2 medium sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, half of liquid drained
1 green pepper, diced
½ red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cumin and chili powder, to taste
1-1/4 lbs. extra-lean ground turkey
Mexican seasoning, to taste
Toppings: salsa, Greek yogurt, guacamole
1. To make sweet potato chips, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss sweet potato slices with olive oil and season with salt and paper. Place slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, flipping about half way through.
2. For bean topping, heat small amount of oil in skillet. Sautee onion, pepper, garlic until onions appear translucent. Add beans, cumin and chili powder and cook a few minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
3. If adding turkey, cook with Mexican seasoning until browned.
4. Arrange nachos in circle around plate; layer turkey, beans, salsa, guacamole and Greek yogurt in center of circle.
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Clean-Eating Chocolate Chip Cupcakes - September 1, 2014
- Spinach & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Creamy Greek Yogurt Sauce - August 25, 2014
- Cherry-Pistachio & Chicken Quinoa Salad - August 18, 2014