Think of backyard grilling and thick burgers, hot dogs and sturdy cobs of corn come to mind. But lighter summer fare, such as fresh fruit, can be barbecued, too, giving you a healthier taste of the season and adding instant gourmet appeal to any dish. Here, juicy, ripe peaches are fired up over open flames for caramelized flavor and texture, then tossed with a mix of tropical marinated chicken, organic lettuce and chopped veggies. Make this restaurant-quality meal at home in minutes–you’d be lucky to find something this good on the menu of your local bistro.
Tropical Chicken Salad With Grilled Peaches & Asparagus
2 lbs. chicken breasts
1 orange, zest and juice
2 limes, zest and juice
½ cup raw apple cider vinegar
¼ cup grapeseed oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. turmeric
¼ tsp. each: sea salt, black pepper
4 ripe peaches
1 lb. asparagus
¼ tsp. each oregano and rosemary
Pinch salt and pepper
Ingredients for salad
1 head organic green leaf lettuce
1 cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
For grilled chicken, peaches and asparagus:
- Place chicken in sealed plastic bag; press out air. Pound chicken with meat mallet or hands, flattening to 1/4“ inch thick.
- For marinade, combine orange and lime zest and juice, apple cider vinegar, oil, garlic, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Pour marinade into plastic baggie with chicken, seal then place in fridge. Marinate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Wash peaches well, carefully run a knife around the perimeter of the peach to loosen the pit, then twist to split in half and remove pits.
- Wash asparagus, trim ends then toss with oil, oregano and rosemary. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat, grill chicken 12-14 minutes, turning over halfway through. Use meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked to internal temperature of 165 degrees. Removed from grill and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Grill peaches 8-10 minutes until softened and caramelized.
- Grilled asparagus 5 minutes until fork tender.
- In a large bowl, combine leaf lettuce, cucumber and avocado on a plate.
- Top salad with sliced grilled chicken, peaches and asparagus.
- Drizzle with apple cider vinegar and olive oil, if desired.
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins - December 18, 2014
- Easy Ingredient Swaps for Healthier Holiday Cookies - December 11, 2014
- Homemade Cookie & Cake Icing With Coconut Oil - December 4, 2014