Think veggie pizza, and a pie topped with slices and chunks of colorful vegetables comes to mind. But this recipe takes the meat-free version of your favorite fork-free dish a step further. The crust is made from cauliflower, cleverly crushed to bits and blended with the perfect ingredients to create a crispy-chewy base that’s lighter and more nutritious than bread-dough versions. Top with sauce, more veggies and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast, and you won’t think twice about the missing cheese or meat.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Makes 1 pizza
1 cup cauliflower rice*
2 Tbsp. oat flour
1 Tbsp. flax seeds
1-1/2 tsp. psyllium husks
2 egg whites
Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, to taste
Optional: 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
*To make cauliflower rice, place raw cauliflower in a blender or food processor and process to the consistency of rice.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to sheet of greased parchment paper; shape into pizza crust.
3. Bake crust for 20 minutes; remove from oven.
4. Add all-natural pizza sauce and veggie toppings of choice (I used zucchini, spinach Brussels sprouts, onion and sweet potato). Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, if desired.
5. Return pizza to oven and broil for 3 to 5 minutes.