So many reasons to try an occasional meat-free meal: Save money, help the planet, add variety to your life. Sound good? This pasta dish is made with delicious and wholesome vegan ingredients for a meal you can feel really good about eating. If non-GMO soy products aren’t available, this dish is just as delicious made with extra veggies and sauce in place of vegan “cheese.”
Vegan Spinach Lasagna
½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach
1 tsp. Italian herbs
¼ onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 (16 oz) jar of organic pasta sauce
¾ cup water
4 oz. organic lasagna noodles
1 cup tofu cream cheese
4 oz. rice- or soy-based “mozarella” cheese, shredded
¼ cup fresh parsley
4 oz. silken soft tofu
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
3. In large pot, combine olive oil, spinach and seasonings; add pasta sauce and water. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, mix together various vegan cheeses, parsley and tofu.
4. In a lasagna pan, layer sauce, followed by noodles, followed by sauce, followed by tofu cheese mix, then more sauce, and more noodles until layered. Repeat until done with sauce on top.
5. Cover loosely with foil and bake 50 minutes. (Check to make sure it is not too brown on top).
6. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, checking after about seven minutes. Let it sit 15 minutes before serving.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 6 Ways to Enjoy Nuts from Breakfast to Bedtime - July 28, 2014
- Garcinia Cambogia Plus Coffee Equals Vitacost’s New ‘Brew Slim’ - July 21, 2014
- Getting into the Zone Diet: How to Make it Work for You - July 14, 2014