Stop! Before you pop open another cardboard canister of refrigerated insta-biscuits, consider how much better a batch of homemade buns would be. Doughy and chewy, these little hunks of heaven are heavy with wholesome sweet potatoes and other ingredients that make them a healthy addition to dinner, not a risky breadbasket splurge. No buttermilk, or any dairy, is needed (they’re vegan!), and the rolling and cutting is easy. Don’t have a biscuit cutter? A plain-old drinking glass does the trick!
Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits
1 cup mashed sweet potato
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup coconut oil (solid)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 to 3 Tbsp. stevia powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sweet potato, almond milks and coconut oil.
- In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix/knead for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Dust countertop with flour. Roll out biscuits dough to ½” thickness. Use biscuit cutter or drinking glass to cut out 10 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on parchment paper and bake 10-12 minutes. (Note: They’ll continue to cook slightly after being removed from oven.)