Spice up ordinary taco nights with a twist on everyone’s favorite Mexican dish. This enchilada casserole is meat free but full of authentic flavor—with corn tortillas, sautéed veggies, black beans and vegan cheese, layered and baked to bubbly perfection. Sprinkle with pepitas and hemp seeds for a protein boost!
Vegan Veggie Enchilada Casserole
6 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded vegan cheese
1 can black beans (rinsed)
2 diced jalapeño peppers
6 diced zucchini
1 cup diced mushrooms
½ cup diced onion
1 clove garlic
½ tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp cumin
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper to taste (optional)
¾ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and/or hemp seeds
Garnish: Pico de gallo, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro
1. In small pan, sauté onion and garlic in small amount of olive oil.
2. Transfer to a larger pan and add zucchini, mushrooms, cumin, chipotle, pepper and jalapenos. Cook slowly over low heat.
3. In a separate pan, lightly toast pumpkin and/or hemp seeds, just until you smell a nutty aroma. Remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly oil 9”x12” baking pan.
5. Layer beans and vegan cheese on bottom of pan. Top with tortilla pieces. Add a layer of the veggie mixture, more beans, cheese and tortilla pieces. Sprinkle with light layer of vegan cheese and seeds.
6. Cover casserole with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cheese bubbles.
7. Serve with sliced avocado, pico de gallo and cilantro.
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.