Brown rice is a staple in our cupboard. Because it contains the side hulls and bran, it’s higher in fiber, provides multiple vitamins and minerals and is easier for your body to process than white rice. It also is lower on the glycemic index. As a result, we’re always looking for new ways to fix it. The following recipe is a healthy twist on traditional fried rice, cooked up in canola oil and packed with cashews for extra crunch.
Vegetarian Cashew Fried Rice
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup organic canola oil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup frozen or fresh peas, cooked
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped scallions or green onion
1. In wok or large skillet, stir-fry veggies and garlic in oil for about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and soy sauce.
2. Pour out rice mixture, and scramble eggs in the remaining oil (add more oil if needed).
3. When eggs are cooked, add back in rice mixture and cashews; mix thoroughly.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Beat Belly Bloat: Flattening Your Stomach Without Shapewear - October 20, 2014
- Healthy Snacks to Take to Work When You’re Dieting - October 13, 2014
- 4 Guilt-Free Comfort Foods for Colder Weather - October 6, 2014