Holiday foods are heavy enough. When you’re not party hopping or cookie swapping, make a healthy meal at home with this mock pasta. Instead of starchy, flour-based noodles, these thin ribbons are shredded from baked spaghetti squash (no special tools needed, just a fork!). Smother with a dairy-free pumpkin alfredo sauce for a rich, vegan dish that fills you up without weighing you down.
Click to watch the video.
Pumpkin Alfredo “Squashta”
1 spaghetti squash
1/2 (15 oz.) can organic pumpkin
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions
2 Tbsp. cashew cream
1/4 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp. basil
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
Optional: kale (massaged to soften)
Optional: toasted squash seeds
1. Preheat oven to 325. Cut squash in half and scoop out strings and seeds. Place halves in glass baking dish with small amount of water and bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool. (Optional: Toast seeds from squash to use as garnish.)
2. Use fork to shred “spaghetti” ribbons from cooked squash; set aside.
3. Combine pumpkin, garlic, onion, cashew cheese, almond milk, basil, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper in food processor; process until smooth. Stir in massaged kale.
4. Place squash noodles in large pan; pour sauce over noodles. Warm over medium heat.
5. Sprinkle toasted squash seeds over pasta dish for a crunchy topping.
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.
Latest posts by Mo, the Morselist (see all)
- Porcini Mushroom Dressing - October 15, 2014
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast - October 8, 2014
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014