If you’re new to quinoa and don’t care for the “plain” flavor, give red quinoa a try before you give up on this healthy grain. Red quinoa has a slightly bolder, nuttier taste that pairs perfectly with milder vegetables and beans, like the corn and black eyed peas in this colorful salad. Gluten free and high in protein, it’s filling enough for a Meatless Monday dinner–or serve as a vegan side dish anytime you’re in the mood for a meat-free meal.
Red Quinoa & Black-Eyed Pea Salad
1 cup red quinoa plus 1- ½ cups water (cooked according to package directions)
2 cups (one 15 oz can BPA-free canned) black-eyed peas
1 cup raw organic corn or canned non-GMO corn
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of half fresh lime
2 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse red quinoa well then add to cooking pot with water. Add a pinch of salt and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse canned black-eyed peas and corn. If using fresh raw corn, stand up corn and carefully slice kernels off cob. Add to a bowl along with black-eyes peas.
3. In a large bowl, combine cooked red quinoa with corn and black-eyed peas. Add chopped cilantro.
4. In a separate bowl, juice half a lemon then whisk together with olive oil and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Add dressing to salad, toss to combine. Adjust seasonings before serving.
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins - December 18, 2014
- Easy Ingredient Swaps for Healthier Holiday Cookies - December 11, 2014
- Homemade Cookie & Cake Icing With Coconut Oil - December 4, 2014