Every January brings the promise and hope of vibrant opportunities in all areas of our lives. Unfortunately, for many, this New Year’s transition brings up regrets over the vast amounts of food ingested during recent holiday celebrations. Literally, overnight, millions of people start strategizing their weight-loss programs to rid themselves of the extra pounds they now see popping up on the scale.
The good news is scientific research has shown that some supplements and products can support healthy metabolism.* By adding them to your daily program, you can receive their overall nutritional benefits and also take advantage of their supporting your efforts to get back to your desired weight.*
Here’s a rundown:
1. Green tea extract. Prepared from the dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, green tea has been praised for centuries, all over the world, for its remarkable health benefits. But did you know that this beverage, which is a great source of antioxidant-rich polyphenols ““ especially the catechin epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) ““ can serve in your weight-loss program?*
In addition to helping maintain a healthy cardiovascular system, green tea has been shown to support healthy metabolism, which can benefit weight-loss programs for people who eat a well-balanced diet and get the proper amount of exercise.* For people sensitive to caffeine, the extract is also available in a decaffeinated version.
2. CLA. CLA is an abbreviation for conjugated linoleic acid. Don’t let the long name throw you! CLA is a naturally occurring fatty acid ““ a healthy fat ““ derived from safflower oil. This nutrient has been shown to positively affect fatty acid oxidation and support healthy weight when used as part of a regular diet and exercise program.*
3. Garcinia Cambogia extract. There’s a good chance you’ve never heard of “monkey fruit” or “gambooge,” a small, pumpkin-shaped fruit that comes from the subtropical Garcinia cambogia tree. In Indian and Asian cuisine, the fruit is used as a spice. However, many people use it as part of their personal health regimens.
The sour taste that’s associated with this fruit’s pulp and rind comes from hydroxycitric acid (HCA), a naturally occurring fruit acid. This compound is currently being investigated for its potential benefits for weight management.* Vitacost Garcinia Cambogia extract is standardized to 50 percent HCA, which means you get a consistent amount of the active ingredient in every capsule.
Garcinia cambogia is also available in a formula that includes chromium picolinate. Chromium, an essential trace mineral, is required for normal protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Research has demonstrated that this mineral may promote a healthy appetite, and help maintain a healthy blood sugar level already within normal range.*
Do you have a post-holiday regimen that’s proven to be a trustworthy and healthy way to address holiday weight gain? Share it with us in the comments below.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Laurie Steelsmith, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic physician and licensed acupuncturist who specializes in women’s health. She is the co-author of Great Sex, Naturally: Every Woman’s Guide to Enhancing Her Sexuality Through the Secrets of Natural Medicine and co-author of Natural Choices for Women’s Health: How the Secrets of Natural and Chinese Medicine Can Create a Lifetime of Wellness.
Latest posts by Dr. Laurie Steelsmith (see all)
- Go Orange for Good Health - October 22, 2014
- DIY Natural Wrinkle Serum with Evening Primrose Oil - October 15, 2014
- 7 Ways to Support Breast Health Naturally - October 8, 2014