Just because we’re active women who spend a lot of time with our hair pulled into a pony tail doesn’t mean we’re willing to sacrifice thick and shiny tresses. However, getting sweaty on a regular basis does mean we have to take extra-good care of our hair to ensure it’s as strong and healthy as the rest of our body. Make the right healthy-hair picks so you’re always looking fit AND fabulous!
Because your hair frames your face, you’ll want a style that accentuates your best features. If you have a heart-shaped face, rock an edgy bob cut. For more angular jaw lines, long layers work well. Also, let your personality shine by adding highlights or changing your hair color with the seasons. Fall is the perfect time to try out an auburn tone, or get wild with deeper shades of red. A good stylist will be able to advise you — even ask a few stylists for different perspectives.
Pick your daily support crew
Ideally, your hair care and styling products will enhance your awesome cut while working with your hair type. Is your hair extra fine? A vitamin-enriched thickening shampoo will help boost volume. If you’re strands are on the thicker side already, you’ll want something to help strengthen and add shine. I’ve often bought the most expensive products (usually from the salon) only to find that the less expensive version works just as well.
Pick up a weekly conditioning habit
If you remember nothing else, you MUST deep condition once a week! Save yourself some money and DIY in the comforts of home. You should deep condition right before bed to allow the conditioning to sit overnight. Follow my lead:
1. Wash and lightly condition hair.
2. Towel dry and flip your hair over the bathtub.
3. Take a handful of organic coconut oil and massage it into your hair and scalp.
4. Twist hair up into a bun on top of your head and wrap with a warm towel, allowing the towel to soak up excess oil.
5. You can either leave a small towel wrapped around your head or use a shower cap to cover your hair and protect your pillow from getting oily.
6. Sleep on it for best results.
7. In the morning, shampoo your hair and enjoy super soft, lustrous locks!
Jennifer Nicole Lee is an international fitness model, best-selling author and motivational speaker who has appeared on Oprah, CBS The Early Show, Inside Edition, E! Entertainment and Fox and Friends. She is the author of the The Fun Fit Foodie Cookbook and was named one of the “Three Top Females in the Fitness Industry” of 2011 by Yahoo Sports. Check out her health and fitness tip videos exclusively on the Vitacost Live Wire.