There’s a substance that many health-conscious people are increasingly talking about. It’s hyaluronic acid, also known as HA. HA occurs naturally in the body and is necessary to maintain healthy joints and connective tissues.* And the aging body simply doesn’t make enough of the stuff.
How does HA work? Think of HA as a space-filler between cells, almost like a pillow full of moisture that acts as a cushion. Unfortunately, the body’s natural production of HA decreases over time. HA can be taken in supplement form, however, or applied topically. Here are some ways to add it to your health — and beauty — regimen.
1. Vitacost Hyaluronic Acid with BioCell Collagen II. This HA combination formula provides the body with the raw materials to support joint and connective tissue health and promote cellular renewal and structure.*
2. Hyaluronic acid serum. Because HA has been shown to hold on to more water than any other molecule in the body, it can also bind and seal in moisture in the skin. You heard that right! In addition to helping produce and maintaining cartilage, HA does the same for collagen.*
3. Facial and skin cream. Many people with dry skin, caused by aging, cold weather or other circumstances, prefer creams that contain HA as a key moisturizing ingredient. Vitacost Glonaturals Argan Collection Face Cream with Hyaluronic Acid is one such product. Derma E features HA in their eye cream.
Has HA helped alleviate pain in your joints or improved your skin? Share it with us in the comments below.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Latest posts by Dr. Laurie Steelsmith (see all)
- Figuring Out Supplement Forms: Which Are Best to Take? - December 17, 2014
- 8 Ways to Naturally Support Eye Health - December 10, 2014
- Are You Really Getting Enough Fiber? - December 3, 2014