For a newcomer, the world of supplements can be overwhelming. There’s an alphabet of vitamins and a myriad of minerals – plus, a host of herbs and other nutrients to choose from. Which ones do you need? And which forms of each are best?
It’s best to start with the basics, which include these 3 essential supplements:
1. Multi-vitamin. Although you should get the majority of your nutrients from healthy foods, like fruits, veggies and whole grains, chances are you could use a little extra support. That’s where multi-vitamins come in – they can help fill in nutritional gaps to be sure your body is getting everything it needs. With so many forms and formulas to choose from, you’re sure to find a multi that matches your needs.
2. Omega-3s. In case you haven’t heard, omega-3 essential fatty acids are especially helpful for heart health, joint comfort and cognitive function. You can get omega-3s in several different forms (such as flaxseed), but the most common omega-3 supplement is fish oil. Be on the lookout for purified fish oil that contains both EPA and DHA, two important essential fatty acids.
3. Vitamin D3. It’s also known as the “sunshine vitamin,” because this nutrient is manufactured by the skin when it’s exposed to sunlight. But thanks to sunscreen, long sleeves and varying climates, your chances of getting enough vitamin D from outdoor exposure are slim. When shopping for this vitamin, choose cholecalciferol (D3), as it’s the same form your body makes.
Don’t miss another dose – add your favorite supplements to Set & Save!
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014