You consider yourself healthy. But even someone as fit as you may not be getting the daily nutritional requirements. To paint a complete and wholesome picture of health, you need variety. You already know to switch up your workouts every few weeks to keep your muscles from adapting, so why let your nutrition hit a wall?
When your body is fueled well, it runs well so you have more energy to keep up with the daily grind. But with a schedule like yours, how do you make sure to get all of the nutrients your body needs? The best way is by taking a superior daily multivitamin. In a quality multi, you’ll find a laundry list of vitamins and minerals. This variety is exactly what your body needs! Let me break it down.
- Vitamin A – contributes to healthy skin
- B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, biotin, B5, B6 and B12) – essential for cell function and energy
- Vitamin C – an antioxidant powerhouse which can help reduce damage caused by free radicals
- Vitamin D – helps support bone formation as well as a healthy immune system
- Chromium – required for protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Copper – an essential trace mineral for basic body functioning
- Iodine – important for immune function and metabolism
- Manganese – aids in fat metabolism among many other enzyme processes
- Zinc – a key nutrient for many body functions, including immune function and eye health
- Calcium – essential for bone health and pairs well with vitamin D to help slow the rate of bone loss as we age
- Magnesium – an active person’s must-have to maintain strong bones and help with muscle and nerve function
- Potassium – you need more than what’s in a banana to support your acid/alkaline balance
- Sodium – must be replaced particularly when you’re sweating or exercising in high heat
Depending on your specific health needs, your body may require more supplements, such as probiotics (the good bacteria). Or, maybe you want to be sure you’re fighting all signs of aging with added antioxidants like coenzyme Q10 and grape seed extract. As you can see, each and every nutrient plays an important role in keeping you healthy inside and out. Make sure you’re getting the right variety for your active body and filling in any nutritional gaps with a multivitamin!
Jennifer Nicole Lee is an international fitness model, best-selling author and motivational speaker who has appeared on Oprah, CBS The Early Show, Inside Edition, E! Entertainment and Fox and Friends. She is the author of the The Fun Fit Foodie Cookbook and was named one of the “Three Top Females in the Fitness Industry” of 2011 by Yahoo Sports. Check out her health and fitness tip videos exclusively on the Vitacost Live Wire.