Rather than tossing into a salad, let cucumbers stand solo with this refreshing, zesty side dish that takes just minutes to make. Light, cool and crisp, cukes are known for their high water content, but they’re also a great source of vitamin C (supplying six percent of the Daily Value per cup!), vitamin K and potassium. Choose the long, thin English variety for semi-seedless slices and mild, rarely bitter taste.
You know they’re good for you, but how can you add more super seeds such as chia, hemp and flax into everyday meals? Here’s a simple solution (and you don’t even have to turn on the stove!). Blend up this Green Protein Machine Smoothie with fresh kale, cucumber, parsley and other healthy greens, then sprinkle in a scoop or two of each type of seed. A single serving supplies nearly 15 grams of protein — plus vitamins, minerals, fiber and omega-3s!
Think outside the salad bowl for a delightful way to use your favorite cool, crisp veggie. Sliced cucumber rounds are topped with a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of chia seeds to create the perfect taste and texture sensation. Enjoy as a healthy snack or refreshing side with any meal.
Recipes & Food
Beauty & Aromatherapy
Natural Health, Family & Home
Fitness & Sports
Posts by date
- Katie @ Vitacost on New to Essential Oils? Here’s How to Get Started
- Jeanne M. Carrigan on New to Essential Oils? Here’s How to Get Started
- DIY Whipped Body Butter on Last-Minute Homemade Gift: Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- Walnut-Stuffed Avocado Boats on Celebrate World Vegetarian Day with Walnut Tacos!
- Katie @ Vitacost on A No-Sweat Guide to Choosing Natural Deodorants
Love shopping? Hop to it.