WOWBUTTER is 100% peanut free, and made in a nut- gluten- and dairy-free facility. It’s made from non-GMO soy instead! And talk about kid-friendly—there are fun stickers underneath the label of each WOWBUTTER jar.
Today’s news about the health benefits of popcorn is especially exciting to me – anyone who knows me well knows that I love air-popped popcorn. (I’ve gone through five air poppers in the past six years or so.)
So what’s the scoop? It seems that scientists have discovered that Read more →
One of my sweetest memories is “snack time,” the 30 minutes right after my daughter came home from school. I’d listen to everything that happened to her that day while she ate. Healthy snacks supply energy and help meet a child’s daily nutrition requirements. Because children have smaller stomachs, they need the energy and nutrients provided by these mini-meals. Try prepping these snacks with your child or providing them with the ingredients for these “Help Yourself” snacks!
Read more →
Are you pumped for American Heart Month? We sure are! That’s why we’ve gathered these (super easy) tips to help you keep your ticker in tip-top shape!
The New Year is here, and many of you may have resolved to live healthier – by going to the gym, eating fruits and veggies or quitting a bad habit. Unfortunately, 85% of New Year’s resolutions end in failure. This year, follow these tips to help you stick with your resolution and achieve success! Read more →
Move over mistletoe and holly—another green superstar will be sharing the spotlight this season! The USDA has proclaimed December as National Pear Month.
After a survey revealed that 84 percent of people don’t know how to tell whether or not a pear is ripe, growers in Washington and Oregon thought it’d be a good idea to enlighten the nation’s unaware fruit eaters. The Pear Bureau Northwest offers these tips and fun facts about pears:
• Pears are one of few fruits plucked from the tree before ripening—if they come down too soon, their flesh will be gritty.
• To test pears for ripeness, apply gentle pressure to the neck, or “stem end,” with your thumb. If it yields, the pear is ripe and juicy. Don’t wait for the whole fruit to feel soft or it will be “mushy” when eaten.
• To ripen a pear, let it sit at room temperature, or place in a paper bag with a banana. Don’t refrigerate unripened pears! Once they start to ripen, you can put them in the fridge to slow down the process.
• Pears can be enjoyed at any point in the ripeness spectrum. Fully ripe, juicy sweet pears are delicious as-is. Less ripe, crisper, sweet-tart pears are ideal for cooking or baking.
• Bartlett and Bosc pears are best for cooking or baking. Anjou pears are good raw or cooked. Comice pears, with exceptionally sweet and juicy flesh, are said to be the best pears to eat raw.
• Overripe pears are great blended into smoothies, soups, sauces and purees.
• If adding to fruit salad, keep cut-up pears from browning by dipping in a mixture of half-water, half- lemon juice.
• Sliced or cubed pears are great in salads. They also pair well with cheese.
• To poach pears, peel and core them. Simmer in a syrup (equal parts water and sugar, or use wine in place of half the water) until tender (a medium-size Bosc pear takes about 45 minutes to poach). Remove and let cool before serving or refrigerating. Drizzle honey, chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce or cream over poached pears.
• To sauté pears, cut into slices. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add pears; cook for about a minute on each side. Sprinkle with sugar; continue cooking and flipping for about 5 minutes until tender. Add to salads, or eat as is, topping as desired.
• Pears are an excellent source of fiber (24% DV), a good source of vitamin C (10% DV) and have only 100 calories (medium-sized pear), no fat, no sodium and no cholesterol.
For more information on pears, as well as easy-to-make recipes, kids’ activities and more, visit the Pear Bureau Northwest.
Recipes & Food
Beauty & Aromatherapy
Natural Health, Family & Home
Fitness & Sports
Posts by date
Love shopping? Hop to it.