You know the saying, “Mother knows best” – well, these moms have been there, done that, and they’re ready to hook you up with insider info on hottest products in natural health, food, sports, fitness and beauty. This week’s topic: Natural Necessities
It’s an appliance that’s been making life in the kitchen easier (and healthier!) since 1922—so how is it you still don’t own a blender? This handy tool, invented for milkshake-making back in the old soda shop days, can chop, purée or liquefy fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and other foods for delicious, nutritious meals in minutes. Think: breakfast smoothies, homemade nut butters, creamy sauces, savory soups.
Uh oh, sounds like allergy seasons is upon us. This year, keep the sniffling and sneezing at bay by following these easy tips to avoid both outdoor and indoor triggers.
The New Year is here, and many of you may have resolved to live healthier – by going to the gym, eating fruits and veggies or quitting a bad habit. Unfortunately, 85% of New Year’s resolutions end in failure. This year, follow these tips to help you stick with your resolution and achieve success! Read more →
In honor of the Great American Smokeout (November 17), here are six tips to help you finally kick that smoking habit:
1. Set small, realistic goals. The key to sticking with your plan to quit is to establish several small (and easily manageable) milestones along the way – such as cutting back by 25% or not smoking while driving. Once you’ve accomplished each individual goal, reward yourself!
2. Ask for encouragement. Quitting is no easy task – so don’t go at it alone! Ask for encouragement from friends, family members and co-workers, who can keep you motivated and provide support when you slip up.
3. Talk to your doctor. In addition to your friends, you should also tell your doctor, who may be able to offer additional support, especially if you are experiencing symptoms of withdrawal.
4. De-stress your life. Don’t let stress influence your motivation to quit. Remember to take time for yourself, and engage in relaxing activities, such as listening to music, practicing yoga or getting a massage.
5. Start a new hobby or activity. Keep your mind off cravings and withdrawals by picking up a new, healthy habit! Join a gym or recreational sports league, take walks with a friend or learn a new skill, such as knitting or painting.
6. Don’t give up! The old adage rings true: if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Although many people will fail the first (or second, or third) time they try to quit smoking, don’t be discouraged. You are capable of kicking the habit, and you will be successful!
For any other meal, you can easily make small changes (such as swapping whole-grain bread for white rolls) to try to get your family to eat healthier. But at Thanksgiving dinner, they’re going to notice—and they’re probably not going to be very happy.
Luckily, there are some clever ways you can adjust traditional Thanksgiving recipes to cut down on calories, fat and sugar—without anyone even knowing. While writing out your shopping list for next week’s feast, keep these tips in mind:
1. Use fat-free/low-sodium broth for basting turkey
2. Replace butter and salt in mashed potatoes with olive oil and garlic/herbs
3. Top sweet potato casseroles with chopped pecans instead of marshmallows
4. Use yogurt or fat-free sour cream for dips and creamy dishes
5. Make mushroom gravy instead of meat-based gravy
6. Use whole wheat bread, and go heavy on veggies, for stuffing
7. Make salad dressing with flaxseed or hemp oil
8. Skip canned cranberry—make a simple sauce from crushed berries, apple cider and sugar (you’ll find many basic recipes online)
9. Replace one whole egg with two egg whites, or use apple sauce instead of oil, in dessert recipes
10. Replace sugar with stevia or another natural sweetener (widely available in granule form) in dessert recipes
Recipes & Food
Beauty & Aromatherapy
Natural Health, Family & Home
Fitness & Sports
Posts by date
- Katie @ Vitacost on New to Essential Oils? Here’s How to Get Started
- Jeanne M. Carrigan on New to Essential Oils? Here’s How to Get Started
- DIY Whipped Body Butter on Last-Minute Homemade Gift: Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- Walnut-Stuffed Avocado Boats on Celebrate World Vegetarian Day with Walnut Tacos!
- Katie @ Vitacost on A No-Sweat Guide to Choosing Natural Deodorants
Love shopping? Hop to it.