In the warm summer months I love grilling outdoors. There’s something about the simplicity of summertime cookouts that makes me feel like life has slowed down a bit and maybe even gotten a little easier, if only for those couple hours. Whether it’s an old fashion block party with my neighbors or watching a gorgeous evening sunset in my backyard, from creative kabobs to decadent desserts, I love it all. Plus, it cuts the after dinner clean-up to a minimum, and I hate doing dishes.
Using seasonal fruits and veggies in our daily menu is part of my ever-evolving work to create a eco-friendly and organic home, so I’ve created chilled-out alternative to all those mayonnaise-drenched side salads. This organic greens and watermelon salad is extremely easy to prepare and goes great with chicken or fish or grilled summer squash for a delicious and healthy All American BBQ.
Blood Orange Balsamic Watermelon Salad
Serves 4 to 6 (or 2 if serving as main course)
1. Rinse greens. Dice watermelon into 1/2-inch cubes.
2. Combine all ingredients (except for cheese), adding the balsamic dressing last. Toss to coat. Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
3. Chill for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
“The Bombshell Mommy” is written by Abigail Blank, romance author and mother of three. Frozen Heart and its sequel, Melted Tears, are published under her pen name: Annabelle Blume. Got a question about how to juggle it all and still be a Bombshell? Email Abigail at email@example.com, connect with her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter @Bombshell_Mommy and look for her on Pinterest.
Latest posts by The Bombshell Mommy (see all)
- Is Your Makeup Bad for the Environment? - April 15, 2014
- Spring Greens Arugula Salad with Balsamic Dressing - April 8, 2014
- Snacking Smart: How to Feel Full With Less Food - April 1, 2014