As a lifelong Californian, my love affair with strawberries runs deep. Summer is peak strawberry season and there is no more decadent strawberry dessert than good old fashioned strawberry shortcake. But those greasy, molded, food-like products sold as the base for a strawberry shortcake are, in a word, foul. So, I have created a completely organic recipe for shortcake, that when paired with fresh organic strawberries and coconut milk whipped cream, is a deliciously decadent dessert for my fellow strawberry lovers.
Organic Strawberry Shortcake with Coconut Milk Whipped Cream
2 cups organic flour
1/4 cup organic coconut palm sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup organic coconut oil (melted)
1 organic egg
2/3 cup organic milk (you can substitute with light coconut milk but the cake may be slightly dry)
1 can organic coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine milk, eggs and melted coconut oil (make sure it’s cooled or you will have scrambled eggs in a bowl).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into 8 inch round cake pan (coated with coconut oil) and bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- To make whipped cream, place can in refrigerator overnight to chill. Scoop chilled coconut milk into mixing bowl and beat with whisk attachment or beaters on high speed until fluffy.
- Cut shortcake into cubes and top with sliced strawberries. Place a large dollop of coconut milk whipped cream on top of strawberries.
Latest posts by The Bombshell Mommy (see all)
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Growing Fresh Sprouts - April 21, 2015
- Crafting With Kids: A Fun Project to Celebrate Earth Day - April 14, 2015
- 4 Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Older - April 7, 2015