Kids don’t like green food. OK, that’s not an absolute because my nine year old loves Brussels spouts; but overall, anything green is typically not well received by the under-eighteen set. So, I’ve taken old fashioned split pea soup, vamped it up, and made kid-friendly organic and vegan golden pea and barley soup. Better yet, this is a slow cooker recipe so you can toss it all in and come back to a rich, hearty dinner the whole family will love. Since I don’t like multi-step slow cooker recipes (because what is the point if you have to do a bunch of prep), this is a throw-it-in-and-go kind of dish. Enjoy!
Vegan Golden Pea & Barley Slow Cooker Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours on high/8-9 hour on low
2 cups organic yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
1 cup organic pearled barley
1-1/2 cups organic carrots, diced
1 cup organic celery, diced
1/4 cup organic white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 organic bay leaves
1/2 Tbsp. organic dried thyme
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
4 cups organic vegetable broth
5 cups water
1. Place all ingredients except barley in slow cooker, stir, then set for 4 hours. Do not open lid, do not stir for the entire 4 hours.
2. After 4 hours, add barley and cook for 1 hour more. Remove bay leaves and serve.
Latest posts by The Bombshell Mommy (see all)
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Growing Fresh Sprouts - April 21, 2015
- Crafting With Kids: A Fun Project to Celebrate Earth Day - April 14, 2015
- 4 Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Older - April 7, 2015