Kids don’t like green food. OK, that’s not an absolute because my nine year old loves Brussels spouts; but overall, anything green is typically not well received by the under-eighteen set. So, I’ve taken old fashioned split pea soup, vamped it up, and made kid-friendly organic and vegan golden pea and barley soup. Better yet, this is a slow cooker recipe so you can toss it all in and come back to a rich, hearty dinner the whole family will love. Since I don’t like multi-step slow cooker recipes (because what is the point if you have to do a bunch of prep), this is a throw-it-in-and-go kind of dish. Enjoy!
Vegan Golden Pea & Barley Slow Cooker Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours on high/8-9 hour on low
2 cups organic yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
1 cup organic pearled barley
1-1/2 cups organic carrots, diced
1 cup organic celery, diced
1/4 cup organic white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 organic bay leaves
1/2 Tbsp. organic dried thyme
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
4 cups organic vegetable broth
5 cups water
1. Place all ingredients except barley in slow cooker, stir, then set for 4 hours. Do not open lid, do not stir for the entire 4 hours.
2. After 4 hours, add barley and cook for 1 hour more. Remove bay leaves and serve.
“The Bombshell Mommy” is written by Abigail Blank, romance author and mother of three. Frozen Heart and its sequel, Melted Tears, are published under her pen name: Annabelle Blume. Got a question about how to juggle it all and still be a Bombshell? Email Abigail at email@example.com, connect with her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter @Bombshell_Mommy and look for her on Pinterest.
Latest posts by The Bombshell Mommy (see all)
- Is Your Makeup Bad for the Environment? - April 15, 2014
- Spring Greens Arugula Salad with Balsamic Dressing - April 8, 2014
- Snacking Smart: How to Feel Full With Less Food - April 1, 2014