Bacon makes everything better. This is a inalienable truth. If there is a way to add bacon to a recipe, I will find it. I’m especially enamored with desserts and the way the salty perfection of bacon can highlight the sinful sweetness of, well, everything. But the combination of fat and sugar, though delectable, is not so great for you.
So, in the interest of making healthier choices, I have created a new and improved version of the classic apple crisp dessert with delicious vegetarian bacon pieces that the whole family will love.
Vegetarian Bacon Apple Crumble
4-5 apples (cubed)
1 cup organic rolled oats
1 cup organic flour
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic turbinado sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
2Tbsp. vegetarian bacon pieces
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 º F. Coat an 8×8 baking pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, melted coconut oil, bacon pieces and cinnamon. Layer half of the mixture in the bottom of the baking pan. Add chopped apples in an even layer, then top with the remaining oat mixture.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with maple syrup before serving.
“The Bombshell Mommy” is written by Abigail Blank, romance author and mother of three. Frozen Heart and its sequel, Melted Tears, are published under her pen name: Annabelle Blume. Got a question about how to juggle it all and still be a Bombshell? Email Abigail at email@example.com, connect with her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter @Bombshell_Mommy and look for her on Pinterest.
Latest posts by The Bombshell Mommy (see all)
- Slow Cooker Recipe: Organic 3-Bean & Vegetable Soup - December 16, 2014
- DIY Oatmeal Bath for Dry Skin - December 9, 2014
- Preventing Frosty Paws and More Winter Safety Tips for Pets - December 2, 2014