By Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP, personal chef
Gluten-free vegan and delicious…what could be better? Amie Valpone, a personal chef and blogger for TheHealthyApple.com, shares her amazing recipe.
- 24 large button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked black rice
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. organic salsa
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Barlean’s Forty-Flax Ground Flax Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
2. Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Set mushroom caps aside; discard stems.
3. In a small skillet over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until translucent, approximately 6 minutes.
4. Add cooked black rice, quinoa, carrots, cashews, salsa, sea salt and pepper; cook until warm, approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Using a teaspoon, transfer rice mixture in each mushroom cap. Slightly over-stuff mushroom caps with rice mixture.
6. Place stuffed mushrooms in a single layer on prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven; garnish with fresh chives and ground flax seeds.
8. Serve warm.
For more gluten-free recipes, visit TheHealthyApple.com.
The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness offers Vitacost.com website visitors weekly recipes and blogs about living the gluten-free lifestyle. For more information about celiac disease and gluten-free living, visit www.celiaccentral.org.