If you’re used to cringing at tasteless gluten-free “desserts,” we’ve got a special treat for you! Try this flavorful apple-pear crumble, courtesy of personal chef Amie Valpone. It’s perfect for a holiday party, and can be customized according to your (or your guests’) dietary needs. Gluten-Free Gingersnap Apple Pear Crumble
Courtesy of Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP, personal chef and Editor in Chief of TheHealthyApple.com
1/2 cup gluten-free flour
1 cup gluten-free gingersnap cookies, finely ground
1/3 cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup butter or dairy-free alternative, sliced into ½ inch pieces
1 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
4 ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup plain yogurt or dairy-free alternative
2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
Non-stick cooking spray
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, gluten-free cookies, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and sea salt. Add butter; using hands, mix well to combine. Slowly add gluten-free oats, macadamia nuts and coconut flakes. Continue to mix using hands until fully combined. Place mixture, covered, into the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Prepare a baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and sea salt. Add pear and apple slices; toss gently to combine.
4. Transfer pear mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with gluten-free cookie mixture.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and juices are bubbling.
6. Serve warm with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkle of ground flax seeds.
For more gluten-free recipes from Amie Valpone, visit TheHealthyApple.com, or follow her on Facebook and Twitter at @TheHealthyApple.