Recipes courtesy of NFCA volunteer Christina Gentile
Salads are to summer like soups are to winter, but being gluten-free doesn’t mean you have to shy away from summertime salad recipes. Expand your tastebuds beyond traditional pasta tossed with Italian dressing with these fresh tastes — a fruity mixture with a bit of mint, and a filling Mexican dish. It’s time to get creative and dig your fork into what is sure to become a new favorite side dish.
Minted Blueberry-Fruit Salad
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 large peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 medium cantaloupe, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 heads Romaine or Boston lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
Creamy Mint Dressing
- ½ cup fresh mints leaves
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup lime juice
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. grated lime peel
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Make dressing first: combine all ingredients in a blender and mix well.
2. In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, peach and cantaloupe. Mix in dressing, then let it marinate for 30 minutes.
Southwest Bean and Corn Salad
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, well drained
- 1 ½ cups corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Dash of salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell pepper, avocado, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro and gently toss.
2. Whisk together the remaining ingredients, then pour over the bean mixture and gently stir to combine.
3. Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to combine.
The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness offers Vitacost.com website visitors weekly recipes and blogs about living the gluten-free lifestyle. For more information about celiac disease and gluten-free living, visit www.celiaccentral.org.