When it comes to accomplishing your health goals, your intentions may be good, but your willpower can be fleeting. Whether you’re trying to eat healthier, lose weight or quit a bad habit, follow these four easy tips to strengthen your resolve:
1. Exercise your mind: Challenge yourself with physical tasks that engage your brain, like brushing your teeth with the opposite hand or learning a new dance move. Research has shown that these actions can actually increase mental focus and stamina; things that may help you make the right decisions when you’re faced with temptations.
2. Get your Zzzzzzs: Even basic tasks can become difficult when you’re sleep deprived, so how do you expect to accomplish difficult ones ““ like making that 6 a.m. session with your trainer? Finding the strength to work out or make healthy meals can be nearly impossible when you’re tired. Make sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night to keep your focus, concentration and willpower going strong!
3. Feed your body: We’ve all been there ““ you’re so hungry, you’ll eat just about anything! This is not a position you want to be in if you’re trying to lose weight or live healthy. Avoid this situation by eating small but satisfying healthy meals and snacks throughout the day.
4. Just breathe: You’re trying to eat healthy, but someone brought cookies to the office. You gave up smoking, but your co-worker just invited you for a cigarette break. No need to panic, just breathe. Slow, focused breathing (10-15 seconds per breath) can help you calmly evaluate the situation and muster up the self-control you need to say “No thanks!”
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014