All the creamy dips, cheesy casseroles, fried meats and flavored drinks you consume over the holidays are bound to hit your body hard—causing digestive issues, weight gain, mood swings and more. One way to bounce back is with a quick detox to flush toxins from your system, improve circulation and make you feel more energized and ready to face the New Year ahead.
Detox, or detoxification, is an internal cleansing of the body that can be accomplished safely and relatively quickly in the comfort of your own home. In addition to the following steps, consider a supplemental cleansing program that utilizes herbs and other nutrients to support the body’s natural detoxification process.
1. Eliminate caffeine, alcohol, sugar and white flour from your diet. This can be done gradually over a period of days until you feel comfortable eliminating them completely. Digestion, sleep, energy levels and sex drive may improve without these items in your diet. (Not sure what to eat or drink? Browse our selection of healthy foods to find something delicious and detox-friendly.)
2. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to help flush toxins from your body. Water stimulates your kidney’s, liver’s and digestive system’s functions and may help boost metabolism, accelerating toxin elimination. Caffeine-free detox tea may also support healthy detoxification.
3. Exercise to increase blood circulation and to deliver essential nutrients to your organs. Building up a sweat also helps eliminate toxins.
4. Brush your skin daily with a natural, soft-bristled brush. This will help remove dead skin cells, clearing the way for the removal of toxins through your skin. Use long, upward strokes and include the soles of your feet and your palms.
5. Scrape away bacteria that has accumulated in your mouth during the night with a custom tongue-scraping tool. Scrape gently from back to front, then brush your teeth as usual.