When you think lasagna, rich red sauce and gooey, melted cheese–probably not vegetables–come to mind. But this raw recipe is going to turn your idea of this traditional Italian dish upside down. Layered with tender, fresh veggies, homemade tomato sauce and vegan macadamia nut “cheeze,” this raw, vegan and gluten-free entree can be eaten without an ounce of guilt. Get ready for a round of “delizioso” cheers from the family!
2 large zucchini
3 yellow squash
6 large tomatoes
1. Shave thin strips of zucchini and squash.
2. Cut tomatoes into thick slices and set vegetables to the side.
Raw Tomato Sauce:
2 cups sun dried tomatoes
1 cup chopped tomatoes (2 medium tomatoes)
1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp fresh garlic (or garlic powder)
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Place all the ingredients in your food processor and pulse until well combined.
2 cups raw macadamias soaked
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp finely chopped serrano chilli
1 Tbsp finely minced fresh garlic
2 tsp yellow mustard powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Place all ingredients food processor and pulse.
1. Lay 3 slices of zucchini side by side to make a wide “noodle” sheet.
2. Spread tomatoe sauce across zucchini noodles.
3. Lay 3 slices of yellow squash, then spread macadamia ricotta on top.
4. Place two tomato slices on top of macadamia ricotta.
5. Now place 3 more slices of zucchini for another pasta sheet.
6. Spread a layer of the sauce, then top with two more pieces of tomato.
7. Garnish with large fresh basil leaves and a dab of macadamia ricotta.
Andrew Davis is a 20-something millennial and pop culture enthusiast who enjoys juicing, playing tennis and promoting overall health and wellness. Tweet him@HeyAndrewDavis if you have questions, comments or just feel like chatting.