After the trick-or-treaters have come and gone, what can you do with those leftover pumpkins? Here are six different uses for pumpkin parts, from seeds and flesh to the pumpkin shell itself:
1. Pumpkin planter: Turn your scary jack-o-lantern into a festive fall planter ““ just fill partway with potting soil and add the plant of your choice. Keep as decoration (until the pumpkin goes bad) or plant in the ground right away.
2. Baked goods: First, whip up some pumpkin puree by cutting your pumpkin in half, scooping out the seeds and guts (the stringy parts), and placing the pumpkin in a shallow baking dish. Add a cup of water to the dish and bake for 90 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the innards are moist and soft. Scoop out the flesh and blend in a food processor. Use your pumpkin puree for pancakes, muffins, cupcakes, breads, pies and more!
3. Pumpkin butter: The innards of your pumpkin are the perfect base for a delicious butter. Follow the steps above to make pumpkin puree, then add 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of apple cider and spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and ginger) to taste. Add the ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes. Spread on bread or fruit for a flavorful breakfast!
4. Colorful bowls: Cut down your carved pumpkins into bowl shapes, brush them with a small amount of vegetable oil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes to make beautiful bowls for a special dinner, or to use in a centerpiece.
5. Seed snack: Save those pumpkin seeds to use in a delicious and healthy trail mix or as a topping for salads. Simply rinse the seeds, brush them with oil and bake them for 45 minutes at 300 degrees. If you desire, top them with butter, salt, spices or sugar before baking.
6. Pet food: If your pup has digestion issues or is overweight, add a small scoop of pumpkin puree to his food dish to support healthy digestion, provide fiber and other nutrients, and keep him feeling full.
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014
- Chemical-Free Spring Cleaning - March 6, 2014