The weather is warm, sunny and beautiful (well, in most places!) — so why are you still hanging out inside? It’s time to pack up your favorite foods, grab your friends and family and head to the nearest park for a classic summer picnic!
Picnicking is fun – but it may offer more than just an opportunity to dust off that blanket and wicker basket. Here are some of the health-supporting benefits of having a picnic:
- Nourishment: Eating outdoors is a nourishing experience on many different levels – it offers the opportunity to slow down, be mindful and truly enjoy what you’re eating
- Happiness: Dining ‘al fresco’ amongst beautiful scenery is a great way to boost your mood
- Natural connections: Leave the electronics at home – doing so allows you to connect with nature and your surroundings
- Revival: Breathing in the fresh air helps revive your body and bring clarity to your mind
- Relationships: Nothing beats quality time spent reconnecting with friends, family or your significant other
Wondering what to eat at this picnic? So glad you asked! Packing a few salads with a simple dessert will fill you up — and give you plenty of energy to play Frisbee afterward!
Here are a few of my favorite healthy picnic foods:
- Red Quinoa and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Tropical Fruit Salad
- Strawberry and Avocado Salad
- For dessert: No-Bake Hazelnut Bites
Don’t forget the plates and utensils, preferably eco-friendly choices like this paper- and plastic-free party pack. Throw in some recycled paper towels to wipe hands and keep nature clean. Happy picnicking!