For those suffering from emotional eating or compulsive eating, food is more than fuel. It’s a way to handle emotions that can range from stress to loneliness to boredom to even anger. Options for healing and help range from support groups to experts to medication. In addition, some emotional eaters are helped by holistic options, such as calming teas and appetite-reducing chews.
Vitacost invites you to try one of the many options that we offer for compulsive eaters and emotional eaters. Among our all-time favorites are:
- With chamomile, chamomile and lavender and two other herbal tea blends, the Traditional Medicinals Relaxation Sampler can help soothe you and guide you to a calmer state.
- Want to feel relaxed but not into sipping tea? Try Vitacost L-Theanine from Suntheanine®. Just one capsule can help you feel calmer.
- A lack of sleep can make you feel hungrier and more irritable. If you toss and turn at night and counting sheep is doing nothing but making you feel baaahed, try Vitacost Sleep Complex with Melatonin and Valerian.
- Who ya gonna call when cravings strike? The “Ghostbusters” equivalent for curbing cravings: Re-Body Hunger Chews Appetite Control Formula. These tasty mandarin orange-flavored chews can help you halt your pattern of eating by achieving a state of satiety.
- When you’re craving something sweet and feel as if you want to sit down and eat a gallon of ice cream, do a swap: Try Vitacost Pea Protein powder in creamy, rich vanilla. With 25 grams of protein, this protein powder can be combined with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt for a healthy, low-calorie, sweetly satisfying way to respond to your cravings.
- One of the biggest challenges for compulsive eaters: Longings for chocolate, with that boost of endorphins and richly delicious flavor. What to do? Make a chocolate shake with ARO Lean Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Easily mixed, this 190-calorie shake is a smooth and creamy on-the-go meal replacement that’s packed with protein.
- The art of aromatherapy can also help. Studies show that the scent of grapefruit oil, for example, can reduce appetite. Try sniffing grapefruit oil rather than responding to cravings. One of our favorite blends: Aura Cacia Grapefruit Pure Essential Oil.