Traveling this summer? You may be changing not only time zones, but also “body zones,” or circadian rhythms. These are easily thrown off by modern transcontinental travel, and the stress of it all can make you more susceptible to illness. And who wants to waste their vacation being sick, or fighting off a cold? The good news is that there’s a plethora of steps you can take to keep yourself healthy during your journey – so that you get to enjoy each and every day of it!
First, take especially good care of your body before you embark on a trip. You don’t want to start your voyage feeling strung out. Prior to getting on the plane, drink plenty of water to ensure that you’re well-hydrated. Your mouth, throat, sinuses and eyes all contain mucous membranes that serve as a defense against viruses and microbes. If these areas become too dry, your natural protection can be less effective.
Second, continue this approach to help ward off germs once you’re on the plane. It helps to remember that the air you normally breathe is most likely less dry than the air on planes, which usually has a humidity of below 25 percent. To keep your mucous membranes well-hydrated during your flight, I advise the following:
- Refrain from drinking alcohol, coffee, and caffeinated teas; these all tend to be dehydrating. But be sure to consume at least eight ounces of water or other fluid for every hour that you’re on the plane.
- If you’re on a long light, wear a mask to cover your mouth and nose. This may allow the air you breathe to retain more moisture, and also help protect you from airborne viruses and microbes.
- Every two hours during your flight, use Xlear Nasal Spray. This easy-to-use nasal spray contains xylitol, a natural compound with known antibacterial properties.
- Once every hour during your flight, apply a drop of eye-moistening drops, such as Similasan Homeopathic Eye Drops, in each eye.
- A final tip: Carry a germ-killing hand sanitizer gel, and use it often while you’re on the plane – particularly after you use the restroom. I recommend EO Essential Oil Products Organic Hand Sanitizer Spray.
Enjoy your travels – and have a safe, healthy flight!