College living – especially in the dorms – can be an exciting social experience. Yet it can also bring challenges for many students living for the first time on their own away from home. Essential oils make transitioning into a life-changing experience a little easier. Here’s how:
- Evoke a sense of home: One way to be reminded of home is through aroma. You can turn any dorm room into a space that feels more familiar by diffusing essential oils that have aromas close to what your home smells like. We strongly associate feelings of home and comfort with aromas like vanilla, lavender, citrus and spices, like cinnamon and clove.
- Use oils to study by: Research shows that studying with the essential oil of rosemary can help students during test/exam time. Rosemary is a great oil for mental focus and concentration, and is a must-have during late night study sessions.
- Create an aromatherapy shower experience: Even in shared bathrooms, having an aromatic shower can bring many different benefits.
- New to getting up on your own? Essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary are wonderful to get you going first thing in the morning.
- Need to decompress at the end of the day? Essential oils like lavender, Roman chamomile, ylang ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, sweet marjoram, and vetiver make great choices prior to bedtime.
- Keep the essential oils contained in the shower. A wash cloth, cotton balls or cotton face pads make great “carriers” for essential oils in the shower. They contain or capture the oils and keep them from being just washed down the drain. Drop the essential oils onto the pad or cloth and place it on the shower floor. Make sure to place it in an area where the water can reach, but don’t let the water directly hit it or the oils can volatize too quickly. Add 10 to 12 drops for full effect.
These are just a few suggestions for ways to make the college experience a little easier and more enjoyable. Find more essential oil recipes and usage tips at www.auracacia.com.
Latest posts by Aura Cacia (see all)
- DIY Warming Hand and Foot Massage for Cold Weather - December 3, 2014
- Balance Your Chakras with Roll-On Essential Oils - November 5, 2014
- 5 Ways to Enjoy the Aroma of Autumn With Essential Oils - October 13, 2014