The road to wellness is paved with good habits. And while there may be no shortcuts to achieving total-body health instantly, there are several simple ways you can start living better today. Try adding these 5 healthy habits to your daily routine. The best part? They’re super easy to stick with!
1. Be optimistic. It’s no secret that a positive attitude can help you live a happier, healthier life. Optimism is a great way to support your body’s natural defenses against the stresses of daily life. But did you know that even forcing a smile can positively affect your mood and overall well-being? (Fake it ’til you make it, we say.) Next time you’re feeling overwhelmed, give it a try.
2. Laugh. Closely linked with optimism, laughter may indeed be the “best medicine.” This is because laughter triggers the release of feel-good chemicals within the body known as endorphins. Laughter also helps your body relax, releasing tension and supporting normal blood flow.
3. Walk. Engaging in a simple, low-impact activity such as walking is one of the easiest ways to incorporate exercise into your routine. Think you don’t have time? Start small, by parking farther from your office or devoting half of your lunch break for a quick walk around the block. Pick up a pedometer to track your steps and aim for 10,000 per day – it may sound like a lot, but it’s easier to achieve than you think!
4. Socialize. Social connections are vital to your health. Research has even shown that more social ties may be linked with a higher life expectancy. A tight-knit network of friends and family can provide entertainment as well as much-needed encouragement during stressful times. Be sure to link up with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, too – we have plenty of inspiring advice, recipes and more to encourage your new healthy habits!
5. Sleep. In order to recover from the day’s activities, your body needs consistently adequate rest. Aim for at least 7 ½ hours of quality (uninterrupted and comfortable) sleep per night. Keep your body on the right schedule by following the same bedtime routine each day, even on the weekends.