The New Year is here, and many of you may have resolved to live healthier ““ by going to the gym, eating fruits and veggies or quitting a bad habit. Unfortunately, 85% of New Year’s resolutions end in failure. This year, follow these tips to help you stick with your resolution and achieve success!
- Get Psyched Up: Every day, take a moment to think about why you chose your resolution, and why you want to make a change. The more reasons, the better!
- Think Small: Beware of broad, vague or unrealistic goals. Stick to small, specific and easily measurable objectives that can be accomplished one at a time. For example, resolve to go to the gym on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, rather than saying you’ll “go more often” or resolve to eat one extra serving of vegetables with dinner every night instead of committing to “eating healthier.”
- Formulate a Plan: Without a plan of action, accomplishing your goals can be next to impossible. Think about the specific details of each step ““ for example, if you resolve to exercise every Monday, decide exactly when and where you will do so ahead of time. Make sure your plan is non-negotiable ““ no excuses!
- Make it Public: Don’t just write down your resolution, go public with it. Tell a trusted friend or start a progress blog to share your story with the world. Announcing your goals to others is a great way to garner the support you need to stay on track.
- Stay Positive: Don’t be discouraged by mistakes or misdirection. Remain positive and get back on track as quickly as possible. Adapt or revise your goals if necessary instead of abandoning them altogether.