Maybe he’s your grandfather, your brother or a newly retired teacher who transformed your life when you were growing up. Whatever role that lucky man plays in your life, Father’s Day offers the perfect opportunity to show just how much you care. And what better way than a bountiful basket of gifts that enhance his health?
From gluten-free goodies to low-carb lovelies, we’ve got the insights on what to include in that Father’s Day Gift Basket:
- For the Dad who works out: Power up his energy with PowerBars! From chocolate to vanilla to cookie dough, PowerBars provide that healthy surge of energy to get him through the most grueling gym routine.
- When I was growing up, my father taught us that the best way to get on his “good side” was to prepare a perfect cup of coffee. For the dad who believes that a day without coffee is a day without sunshine, choose an assortment of organic beans sure to make him beam. For a blissful blend, try LavAzza Espresso Premium Arabica Ground Coffee. We also recommend Equal Exchange Ground Organic Breakfast Blend Coffee or French Roast Coffee. And if you’ve got a dad who loves the taste of coffee but is trying to cut down, go for a coffee substitute like Teeccino Mediterranean Herbal Coffee in flavors like almond amaretto and chocolate mint.
- A traditional feast on Father’s Day: Barbecues! What to use for seasoning? Try gluten-free 3 Little Pigs All-Natural BBQ Seasoning Kansas City Style. And remember: You can enjoy BBQ without animal products by using soy-based hot dogs and soy-based hamburgers. For a healthy choice, use Ener-G Tapioca Hotdog Buns, which are wheat free.
- Give Dad good-for-you fats by choosing an assortment of nuts and seeds. He’ll enjoy crunching on pumpkin seeds, such as Best Of All Organic Unsalted Pre-Shelled Pumpkin Seeds. Let your father go nuts with Back To Nature Cashew Pistachio Almond Mix.
- Sweets to the sweet! Cheer up Father’s Day with the joys of antioxidant-rich chocolate. Treat his taste buds to Endangered Species Chocolate Extreme Dark Black Panther, and add some love with Chocolove Dark Chocolate Bar Extra Strong.
- Do you have a father who qualifies for the Cheerful Chef award? Let him indulge his passion with Gluten-Free Pantry Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix. Why we like this mix: It allows Dad to experiment with creative kitchen cuisine! Also recommended: Edward & Sons Let’s Do Organic Gluten Free Coconut Flour, which is perfect for a dad on a low-carb diet to use for low-carbohydrate baked goods.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.