What are your goals for 2013? Most of us resolve to improve our lives in some way, whether it’s shedding pounds, getting fit or eating more healthy foods (oops, are those chocolate chip cookies lurking in my cabinet?!). And when it comes to enhancing your health by slimming down, Vitacost wants to help with these tips for weight loss success:
Don’t drink your calories. It’s all too easy to head to a coffee store and gulp down an 800-calorie super-sized drink without feeling full. Instead, drink water or try making your own fabulous coffee drink with Equal Exchange Ground Organic Breakfast Blend Coffee mixed with unsweetened almond or soy milk, such as White Wave Unsweetened Organic Silk ® Soymilk. Result: A flavorful beverage for only 20 calories!
- Eat more lean protein, which can help you feel satisfied and, according to studies, even burn more fat and calories than carbohydrates. Make it easy by keeping canned fish, such as Natural Sea Wild Premium Alaskan Red Sockeye Salmon, in the cupboard.
- Eat more fiber, which also fills you up. Foods that are high in fiber include fresh fruits, fresh or canned vegetables, and beans or legumes. Keep canned beans in the house to add to salads or other meals. For example, try Eden Farms Organic Black Beans heated over Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Pasta.
- Snack smart. Beware of mindless snacking between meals. Plan ahead by keeping a see-through plastic container with cut-up raw veggies, such as celery and carrots. Jazz up that mixture with seasoning, such as organic Bragg Sea Kelp Delight seasoning.
- Go nuts. Eating a small amount of nuts daily can help you shed the pounds. The secret: Portion control. Measure out one serving a day of Best of All Organic Almonds and snack on it with an apple for a keep-you-going-until-dinner super snack.
- Drink soup, which can be your diet best friend. Hot, filling and satisfying when you choose the right type (avoid creamy soups or those made with cheese), soup can be the perfect complement to any meal (including breakfast!). And Vitacost has so many great kinds that we suggest sampling several to find your own favorite. In particular, we recommend Amy’s Organic Lentil Soup, which is high in both fiber and protein. And for a veggie-packed sensation, try Health Valley Organic No Salt Added Vegetable Soup.
Want something different? Spoon up King Soba Mighty Miso White Miso with Pumpkin & Vegetable Soup.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 6 Ways to Enjoy Nuts from Breakfast to Bedtime - July 28, 2014
- Garcinia Cambogia Plus Coffee Equals Vitacost’s New ‘Brew Slim’ - July 21, 2014
- Getting into the Zone Diet: How to Make it Work for You - July 14, 2014