Looking for easy ways to beat the heat this summer? No sweat! Try these seven tips to help stay cool, both inside your home and outside in the sun.
1. Laze in the shade: The obvious solution to summertime heat? Relax in the shade! Take shelter under shady trees, umbrellas and even wide-brimmed hats, all of which can protect you from direct heat. If you must work while outside, plan to do so before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m., when the sun’s rays are not as strong
2. Dress lightly: Wear lightweight, lightly colored and loose-fitting clothing to protect your skin and help keep your body cool.
3. Make a splash: Cool off by taking a dip in the pool, ocean, lake, river or any nearby body of water. Stay refreshed even when you’re away from the beach or pool, by spritzing yourself with cool water from a spray bottle.
4. Eat fresh: Stay cool by snacking on refreshing fruits and veggies, such as cucumbers, carrots, apples and more. These foods naturally contain water and are generally easier to digest than fattening snacks.
5. Hydrate: Drink plenty of water and other hydrating beverages (such as coconut water) throughout the day to replenish the fluids your body loses from perspiration. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages, as these can actually contribute to dehydration.
6. Make a cold pack: Keep cool at night by making your own cold pack ““ simply fill a sock with rice, freeze it and place it between your sheets or under your pillow before bedtime.
7. Turn off appliances: Help cool your home by turning off non-essential appliances and electronics. Avoid using the oven during the day, and consider letting your clothes and dishes air-dry.